Saturday 21 April 2012

Recipe: Hearty Beans and Greens Stew

I found the basis of this recipe in the book "Quinoa 365" but it included animal products and some ingredients that I could not find, so I tweaked it a fair bit and this is what I came up with. A one-put stew that is easy to make and great for dinner on a cool night.

What you will need:
4 cups vegetable stock. I use Marigold Swiss Vegetable Vegan Bouillon Powder which you can find in health food shops.
half cup quinoa
quarter tsp dried oregano
1 bay leaf
1 can (approx 400g) cooked red kidney beans
1 can (approx 400g) cooked butter beans (or any that take your fancy really)
chopped kale or spinach - how much you use is up to you, though I used a fair amount, as it wilts down
a few cooked and diced vegan sausages or firm tofu, cubed. Again, how much you want to use is up to you.

Method:
Combine the stock, quinoa, oregano and bay leaf in a pot and bring to boil.
Reduce to simmer, cover and cook for 15 mins.
Remove lid and add beans and spinach. Cook until spinach is wilted. Stir in vegan sausage or tofu and cook for a few more minutes. Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment