Tuesday 10 April 2012

Annalakshmi on the Swan

Although Annalakshmi describes itself as being vegetarian, it is vegan friendly. The issue of ghee is always to be considered when it comes to Indian food, however I do believe they have stopped using it and most of what is on offer is fine for vegans. [Update: a vegan has reported that he came across one dish that had dairy yoghurt in it, so be wary.] If, like me, you are unsure of what something is and what is in it, ask the staff there or take along some friends who do know their Indian cuisine - like I did!

The food varies depending on what time and day you go, but there usually is on offer various rice dishes, curries, salads, dahls and soups. When I went for lunch, I did have to skip the dessert as it was not vegan, which was a shame.
I found the soup that I had was a bit too sour for my liking, but the cabbage based salad was delicious and the curry not too hot for a lightweight like me! Also, the rice was perfect!

This venue operates on a serve yourself basis and you can go back for refills (as I did!). You also pay the amount you wish to pay. The one thing this establishment asks in return is that you do not load up on food that you may not eat. Waste of food is a no-no, and rightly so.

The staff are volunteers and money raised by this endeavor goes to fund medical assistance and food for the underprivileged in India.

Annalakshmi is situated on the Perth Esplanade, near the Bell Tower, so the river views from this venue are lovely. For opening hours, check their website, and while you are there, check out their cooking classes and their events page, as they sometimes have performers and special guests.

No comments:

Post a Comment