Thursday 26 January 2012

Quinoa via the rice cooker

I have been cooking with quinoa a lot lately and each time I have had to boil it up. It never occurred to me to cook it in a larger amount, in a rice cooker. But that is what I did the other day. Not only was it quick and easy, but also tasty.

I got the directions on how to do this via this fabulous website Low Fat Vegan Chef which I highly recommend you check out.

What you will need:


1 and a half cups dry quinoa (red, black or white)
1 and a half cups of water, veggie broth (I use Marigold Vegan Swiss Vegetable Bouillon Powder)

You can also add lemon juice (2-3 tbsp) or parsley flakes, etc. Whatever takes your fancy, really.

Method:
Soak the quinoa in cold water for about 15 mins.
Drain and rinse the quinoa using a fine mesh strainer until the water is clear and not foamy.
Place in the rice cooker along with the water/broth and seasonings.
Set to white rice setting a cook.
When cooking cycle is complete, let it steam for about 10 mins and then fluff with a fork and serve.

I had my quinoa with some steamed veggies and the following day, had the leftovers in a salad, which was delicious. Something about quinoa and fresh tomatoes in a salad with a little olive oil and herb salt .....mmmm! Hit the spot.

Oh, and if you don't have a rice cooker, seriously consider getting one. They are not all that pricey and you can pick one up at department stores such as K-mart. Unless I am adding it to a soup, I never boil rice now.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, great idea! I didn't think of that either but will give it a go in the rice cooker. Thanks. :-)

    ReplyDelete