Monday 17 October 2011

Recipe: Date and walnut truffles


This is a pretty simple raw vegan dessert...well, simple if you have a food processor. I do not, so had to use my blender. I think that is why I didn't get the right consistency (ie smooth enough) to be able to roll them into balls. The best I could do was to roughly shape them into 'sort-of-balls'. Me thinks a food processor would be a very good addition to my kitchen hardware.
I got this recipe from "Livwise: easy recipes for a healthy, happy life" by Olivia Newton John. This isn't a vegan or vegetarian cookbook, but there are a few recipes in there that are suitable for vegans.


A word about some of the ingredients. Coconut oil (yes OIL and not cream) was not available in the supermarkets I checked but I did find it in a health food shop. Same deal with carob powder. Everything else was super easy to find. Oh, and by the way, this recipe is gluten free.

What you will need:
2 cups of walnuts (about 200g)
1 cup pitted dates (about 185g)
1 tbsp coconut oil
2-3 tbsp carob powder
quarter cup desiccated coconut (about 25g)

Method:
Put all the ingredients except the coconut, into a food processor and process until smooth.
Take 1 tsp of mixture at a time and roll into a ball. Roll each ball in coconut to coat all over. 
Refrigerate. 

Truffles will keep in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.








No comments:

Post a Comment